Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Day 5 of Climb

Early morning wake up today - 6:15 a.m. - so we can get to Barafu Camp (15,200 ft) in time for a hot lunch. I feel a little bit nauseated this morning, but still eat the breakfast of porridge, eggs, toast and watermelons.
The weather is clear, but cool, and this morning I am wearing a synthetic tank, light long underwear (top and pants), hiking pants, wool cap, a fleece, a wind/waterproof jacket and knit gloves. The trail is easy, but rises sharply from the valley. I shed coats and change hats. I feel better on this ascent to 15,000 plus feet than I did when we hiked to Lava Tower.
The porters welcome us with a song when we arrive at Barafu Camp after the three hour trek. They have set up camp in a spot sheltered by lava rocks. White-naped ravens sit on the rocks - they have huge beaks.
The afternoon is chilly, but it's warm inside the tent. I'm still feeling a little sick at lunch - I think I drank too much water, four liters by 1 p.m. The food looks unappetizing, but I eat anyway - two crepe/pancakes, two bowls of soup, three pineapple slices, chicken and two cups of hot water.
We will hike to the summit from here, and although our tents are set up, we will not spend the night. We are resting this afternoon, will have an early dinner tonight and get in our sleeping bags at 7 p.m. But we will only sleep until 11 p.m., when we will put on all of our warm clothes and set off for the summit.
I have set aside my clothes for the summit attempt- two sets of long underwear, hiking pants, waterproof/wind pants, fleece jacket, down jacket, wind/waterproof jacket, a knit hat that also covers my neck and chin, a wool hat, a wool scarf, hand warmers, toe warmers, two pairs of gloves and a headlamp.
I feel hungry at dinner. I haven't had any additional water since lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A final view of Mt. Kilimanjaro

A final view of Mt. Kilimanjaro

It's Official

It's Official

At the Roof of Africa

At the Roof of Africa

Crater

Crater

Glaciers

Glaciers

Barafu Camp

Barafu Camp

Looking back at Karanga Valley Camp

Looking back at Karanga Valley Camp

Morning Send Off

Morning Send Off

Barranca Wall

Barranca Wall

Top of Barranca Wall

Top of Barranca Wall

The Dining Tent

The Dining Tent

Trail to Lava Tower

Trail to Lava Tower

Shira Camp

Shira Camp

Machame Trail

Machame Trail

Machame Gate

Machame Gate

Half Dome cables

Half Dome cables

Towering Tree

Towering Tree
this is a former house plant that I tired of, I didn't want to throw it out, so I dug a hole for it in the dog yard. It's thriving despite me.